In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Last Moments
It is a sad time; the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HP) is not feeling well; his relatives are standing near his bed. Fatimah (PBUH) is present there and witnesses how her father is spending the last moments of his life. She cries, laments, and reads the poem Abu Talib had said about Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP), ”He is a respectable man whom the clouds are asked to rain for his respect; the one who was a refuge for the orphans and a guard for the widows”.(1) As Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) observes this scene, he consoles his daughter by saying, ”O my daughter! I entrust you with Allah (SWT); O dear Fatimah! When I die, do not tear your clothes (do not be impatient) and do not scratch your faces, and only say whatever I said when my son Abraham (2) died: ‘The eye is crying; the heart is in pain; but we do not say what makes Allah (SWT) wrathful. O Abraham! We are all grieved over your death (3)”.
Then, he said with a voice that barely came out his mouth, ”O my daughter! O Fatimah! Now read this verse of the Quran (4): ‘Muhammad is only a messenger; the messengers have already passed away before him; if then he dies or is killed will you turn back upon your heels?...(5)”
Then he continued, ”O my daughter! Come close. Come close so that no one can hear my voice except you (6)”. Then, he whispered something into the ears of Fatimah (PBUH) that made her cry. After that, he whispered something else which made her happy, such that a smile appeared on her blessed face (7).
Then he said, ”Call my brother!”. But some intended to irritate and called for others instead. Umm Salamah, the loyal wife of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) said, ”Why are you annoying him?”, and she went after Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH) and brought him. The Prophet (PBUH&HP) talked to Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH) for a long time (8) until he felt faint. At this point, Imam Hassan (PBUH) and Imam Hussain (PBUH), who were little kids, entered the room while crying, and threw themselves on the chest of Prophet (PBUH&HP). Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH) tried to get the children off him, but the Prophet (PBUH&HP) said, ”O Ali! Leave them so that I smell them; they smell me; I benefit from them; and they benefit from me”.
The final moment arrived. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) told Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH), ”Put my head on your laps; the will of Allah (SWT) has come. When I die, undertake the preparations, perform prayer on me, and do not leave me until you put me in my grave; and ask Allah (SWT) for His help in all these affairs”.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) said these words, and while his head was on the laps of Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH), his soul left his body towards his Lord. At this moment, Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH) screamed (9), and while grief and sorrow had overtook him and his eyes were in tear, he covered the body of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) with a cloth and started preparing him for burial (10).
Indeed, the saddest moment of the history was such; this was how the best of the creation left the world passed away and made the creation mournful over him.
(The above is a selection taken from “The Darkest Week of the History (the events of 4 days before and 3 days after the demise of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP))”, by Ali Muhaddith (with some changes and additions))
Roshd Website offers condolences to all Muslims, especially your dear friend, upon 28th of Safar, the anniversary of the demise of the last Prophet and the mercy upon the creation, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP), and the martyrdom of his grandson, Imam Hassan Mujtaba (PBUH).
Roshd Islamic Shia Website
1. Usul al-Kafi, vol. 1, p. 449
2. Abraham was the son of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) who was born in the year 8 AH and died of a disease at the age of 18 months.
3. Jalaa’ al-Uyun, by Allamah al-Majlisi, research made by Allamah Shubbar, vol. 1, p. 90
4. The Prophet (PBUH&HP) wanted to note that this is the day this verse is manifested.
5. The Holy Quran, (3:144)
6. Sirah al-Mustafa, by Hashim Ma’rouf, p. 717
7. After the demise of the Prophet (PBUH&HP) Aisha asked Lady Fatimah (PBUH), ”What did he say to you on the last moments that made you cry, and what did he say that made you happy?” Lady Fatimah (PBUH) answered, ”First, he informed me of his death, which made me upset. Then, he told me that I would be the first person among his family to join him after his death”. (Tarikh Ibn Athir, vol. 2, p. 322; Tabaqaat, by Ibn Sa’ad, vol. 2, p. 247 and …)
8. Later, Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH) was asked, ”What did the Prophet (PBUH&HP) tell you?” Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH) replied, ”He opened 1000 fields of knowledge for me, each field opened up 1000 fields. He ordered me some things which I shall execute, with the will of Allah (SWT).” (Kashf al-Ghummah, vol. 1, p. 18)
9. Tabaqaat, by Ibn Sa’ad, vol. 2, p. 263
10. Manaaqib, by Ibn Shahr Ashub, vol. 1, pp. 236-237